It’s National Poetry Month! It’s time to enjoy your favorite poets or find some new ones like Rumi, Billy Collins, e.e. cummings, an anthology of poets, or one of the many other famous and not-so-famous poets we have in the collection. Don’t like poetry? Not a problem. Try a novel in verse, you might be surprised at how much you like it. Some of the novels in verse in our collection are:
- The Marlowe Papers by Ros Barber (secret identities, faked murder, and enough drama for at least three Shakespeare plays)
- Lies, Knives and Girls in Red Dresses by Ron Koertge (modern true stories behind fairy tales)
- Only Revolutions by Mark Z. Danielewski (a topsy-turvy modern Romeo and Juliet tale)
- After the Kiss by Terra Elan McVoy (two high school seniors getting through their last semester)
- The Hunchback of Neiman Marcus by Sonya Sones (a novel of middle age, motherhood, marriage and mayhem)
… the list goes on. Try something new this month and tell us if you like it. You can find more on the “Something Different” bookmarks at Circulation too. You can find Novels in Verse and Poetry books in the catalog.
There are tons of events, support and ideas for National Poetry Month as well. Check out some of these from ReadingRockets, ReadWriteThink & Scholastic. The National Poetry Month official website has a lot of great resources as well including a poem a day, Dear Poet project, poem in your pocket day, and more!