Sights in New Jersey :
Title:
Children's Industrial Home of New Brunswick - Front
Date:
07/10/1940
Description:
A view of the Children's Industrial Home at 190 Somerset St., New Brunswick, N.J. The picture was taken from the corner of High Street and Somerset Street. The building's facade is almost entirely shrouded by ivy run wild, while trees and other plantings help obscure it. The lot is surrounded by an iron and stone fence. One gate to the front walk hangs partially off its hinges while the other is either wide open or gone. The sign at the street's edge reads "Slow [picture of running child] School".

The Children's Industrial Home of New Brunswick was formed as the Children's Aid Society of New Brunswick by a group of concerned church women in 1877 "to provide temporary care of friendless, neglected, or destitute children". It opened a school and reincorporated as the Industrial Home of New Brunswick for Girls in July 1878. Eventually it accepted the admission of boys and dropped the latter part of its name. The residential home, shown here, was closed in the early 1940s following a shift in program emphasis to sponsoring foster home care. In 1950 it was reincorporated as the Family Service Bureau.

A postcard made earlier provides a clear view of the building's facade.
Place:
New Brunswick, NJ
Photographer:
Wade, Elton H. L.
Object Name:
Negative, Sheet Film
Object ID:
2009.1.135
Other #:
797
Film Size:
3 1/4 x 4 1/2 in.
Copyright:
Franklin Township Public Library
Collection:
Elton H. L. Wade Photograph Collection
Related Link:
View the earlier postcard here.
Click to Enlarge
Children's Industrial Home 796Children's Industrial Home 796