Since 1926, a version of Black History Month has existed in the United States. It started as a week, and over time became a month dedicated to making sure that African American/Black history was not overlooked. Canada and the U.K. also celebrate Black History Month, although the U.K.’s is in October. It is important to learn and remember all parts of history, since by paying attention to history we can hopefully avoid making the same mistakes as our ancestors. In the spirit of Black History Month, here are some links to great resources on this branch of history.
- The History Channel
- Infoplease.com has quizzes, crosswords, and more as well as biographies, etc.
- AfricanAmericanHistoryMonth.gov is the official site and has good teacher resources
- TimeForKids has great articles and such for younger audiences
- The Smithsonian also has some great teacher resources
- You can also see what kinds of African American History items we have in our catalog.