Inaugurated in 1996 by the Academy of American Poets, National Poetry Month is celebrated every April and is the largest literary celebration in the world! The aim is to:
- highlight the extraordinary legacy and ongoing achievement of American poets,
- encourage the reading of poems,
- assist teachers in bringing poetry into their classrooms,
- increase the attention paid to poetry by national and local media,
- encourage increased publication and distribution of poetry books, and
- encourage support for poets and poetry.
Free verse, haiku, hymn or sonnet…there’s lots to enjoy! Take part in National Poetry Month by signing up for a poem-a-day or poem in your pocket day. Looking for some new poetry to enjoy? Here are 60 Poets You Could Be Reading or 14 Classics.