Weekend Fun: Peek-a-boo Flower!
Spring is just over two weeks away – so get in the mood with some books about flowers, plants, and growing things. There are many at the library in both fiction and nonfiction. Learn about how a flower grows and get ready to plant some seeds that will give summer flowers! Zinnia seeds grow well and bloom all summer long.
While you’re waiting, make a peek-a-boo pop-up flower in a box!
What you need:
- 1 piece sturdy cardstock, any size
- 1 piece of cardstock for the flower stem, green or any color
- assorted cardstock scraps
What you do:
- With the short edges at your left and right, fold approximately 1/2 inch on one side and then fold the entire paper in half and in half again.
- Unfold and fold the other way and rub along the folds to make good creases.
- Decide which side of the paper will be the front, and fold so that side is on the outside of the box.
- Make a 1-inch slit along each fold and fold the resulting flaps up.
- Snip off the flap on the 1/2-inch fold.
- Follow the folds to form the box. The four flaps form the bottom.
- Check to see if there is an opening in the bottom. If not (or if it’s too small), snip a tiny square in the center of each flap (see photo).
- Apply glue to the short side flap and form the box once again. Press and rub to help the glue stick.
- With the box on its side, open the bottom two flaps and apply glue to the inside of each.
- Fold up and press to help it stick.
- Cut two thin strips of green or any color cardstock to form the stem.
- Glue the two strips together to reinforce the stem.
- Use the assorted scraps to cut out a circle for the center of the flower and three small strips for the petals. TIP: The strips should be slightly smaller than the box shape so that the assembled flower will fit inside.
- Draw a face on the flower center and glue the strips criss-cross on the back of it.
- Tape the flower stem to the back of the flower and insert it through the hole at the bottom of the box so that the flower is inside.
- Move the flower up and down through the hole. If the petals bump the sides of the box, trim them a little more with scissors.