As a library member you can:
- Borrow items from our print and audio collections.
- Borrow movies and tv shows on DVD or Blu-ray for a nominal fee or join our Video Club.
- Download content from our digital collections, including ebooks, digital audiobooks, digital magazines, streaming music, movies, and television.
- Access our databases from home.
- Enjoy free access to the New York Times online.
- Learn a new language with Rosetta Stone, Mango Languages, or Little Pim.
- Make reservations through our Museum Pass Program.
- Receive borrowing privileges at select nearby libraries.
- Participate in our seasonal Reading Programs.
Who is eligible?
Free library cards are available to anyone who lives or owns property in Franklin Township. Resident library cards are valid for three years and must be renewed with valid personal identification and proof of Franklin Township residence.
Minors (17 & under) must have a parent/legal guardian present at the time of application to co-sign for a library card.
Homebound applicants use the link below to download the application. Please print, fill out, and mail the form to register remotely. Your permanent card will be mailed to you.
Free library cards are also available to:
- Individuals who own and operate a business in Franklin Township. A separate application is available here.
- Individuals who can show that they work or attend school in Franklin Township. Borrowing limits may apply. Membership must be renewed annually.
- Complementary reciprocal borrowing privileges are available for members of nearby libraries. For more information on these libraries please click here.
Non-residents who do not otherwise qualify for a free library card may purchase an annual membership for $50.00 or a half-year membership for $25.00. These fees are reviewed periodically and may be subject to change.
What should I bring?
All library card applications (new, renewals, and lost card replacements) require confirmation of your identity and residency. If you have any questions please contact us at 732-873-8700, via our contact form, or by visiting a service desk at any location.
Residents of Franklin Township only need to a bring a valid New Jersey driver’s license* with a current Franklin Township address.
If your current ID does not qualify you must provide both valid personal identification and valid proof of residency.
- Driver’s license* or non-driver’s identification card
- Passport (U.S. or other country)
- U.S. permanent resident card
- Somerset County ID
- Student ID card
Proof of Residency
- Driver’s license*
- Ownership deed or lease with a Franklin Township Address**
- Most recent property tax bill
- Bank statement, utility bill, telephone bill, or other monthly bill with a current Franklin Township street address***
- High school or college transcript/school correspondence containing the applicant’s address, issued within the past six months.
* P.O Box addresses cannot be accepted as proof of residency. Please provide an alternate proof of residency.
** Leasees may only be granted privileges for their lease period or a maximum of one year; whichever comes first.
*** Bills used as proof of residency may not be older than 30 days.
Other forms of identification may be required for non-resident cards. For details please see our full Circulation Policy.
Lost Library Cards
The library provides all new users with a free wallet and keychain copy of their library card. There is a $3.00 charge to replace a lost card. Please report a lost card by calling 732-873-8700, option 2 or completing the form below.
Please allow at least 24 hours if a confirmation email is needed. Response time will take longer if it is a weekend or the library is closed.
For any questions not answered above please see our full Circulation Policy or contact the library. Details available in the Circulation Policy include:
- Library Card Eligibility and Registration
- Borrowing Limits and Fees
- Checking Out & Returning Media Items
- Renewing Your Checkouts
- Library Courtesy Notices
- Borrowing Fees for Overdue Items
- Fees for Lost or Damaged Items
- Sending Accounts to “Collections”
- “Family” Blocks
- Payments and Refunds
- Requesting an Item Be Held for You
- Video Club
- Reciprocal Borrowing
- Borrower Confidentiality